Short Form Minutes of the Dec 9th, 2018, 21 year review meeting for the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe
Audio recording of Part 1 of the Review Meeting is available here.
Audio recording of Part 2 of the Review Meeting is available here.
Verbatim Minutes of the Review Meeting are 20 pages long and available here.
Context: On December 9th of 1997, the Citizens of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe held a traditional gathering and established and executed a Convention that prescribed the rules and administration of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe and Indian Reserve no. 258 under the leadership of Chief Edward Machimity and four headmen. The Saugeen Convention specifies that the Chief and Headmen are appointed by and with the consent of the people and that a review of their conduct is to take place every twenty-one (21) years. The following are the short form minutes of this 21 year review meeting, which was held 21 years to the day from the establishment of the Saugeen Convention and the installment of its Chief and Council.
Minutes taken by Tom Keefer. The meeting began at 10:20am in the first floor dining room of the Four Winds Motel in Savant Lake, Unorganized Indian Settlement lands.
Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Citizens in Attendance: Sarah Belmore, Summer Bergman, Neecha Dupuis, Candace Kitchkeesick, Desiree Jacko, Mary Jacko, Howard Kitchkeesick, John Machimity, Glen Machimity, Paul Machimity, Ron Machimity Sr., Kelly Machimity, Colleen Machimity Koski, Daisy Magotte, Denilyn Derouin-Magotte, Harry Magotte, Linda Magotte, Joyce Medicine, Betty Necan, Christian Necan, Deja Necan, Darlene Necan, Lillian Necan, Virginia Necan, Gladys Ombash, Alvin Necan, Hilda DeRose, Donna Rogers, John Sapay Sr., Vernon Jacko Tahgaiwenne, Divine Wabano.
Non-Citizens in attendance: Jorge Barrera, Tom Keefer: consultant to Darlene Necan, Doug Keshen: Lawyer to the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen
Meeting Agenda. The Meeting is called to order at 10:20am. The agenda is as follows. Links below continue to section in the full Verbatim Minutes.
Meeting decisions. The following decisions were made by unanimous collective and individual decision of the citizens of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe on the occasion of the Review Meeting held on the 21st anniversary of the execution of the Convention.
- The people of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe have decided to select a new leadership of Chief and Headman under the Convention of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe at a meeting held Sunday, February 3rd, 2019 at 10am, in the Four Winds Motel in Savant Lake, unorganized Indian settlement lands.
- The people of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe have decided to create a Unit Body with a mandate existing from December 9th, 2018 to February 3rd, 2019 for the purposes of carrying out the will of the citizens of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen by organizing a meeting to select new leadership on February 3rd 2019. This unit body will be comprised of on-reserve representatives Ron Machimity Sr. and John Machimity with alternates Joyce Medicine and Betty Necan and off-reserve representatives Hilda DeRose and Darlene Necan.
- The people of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe have decided to task the Unit Body created on Dec 9th, 2018 with looking further into the issues of bullying of the Saugeen people by their leadership.
- The people of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe have indicated their interest in purchasing with band funds the Four Winds Motel and Store in Savant Lake.
- The people of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe have decided to remove Doug Keshen as their lawyer and legal representative.